Release Date: October 12, 2021
Fomat: eBook only
So you've managed to best our most fearsome books? Well gear up, brave adventurer: It's time for some DLC. Boss Fight’s authors have done so much great writing you won’t find in their books, so we decided to put together our very own B-sides & rarities compilation: Nightmare Mode.
In this anthology you’ll delve into lost chapters and timely essays in which Boss Fight authors return to the games and series that inspired their full-length titles. Inside you’ll encounter:
- David L. Craddock on how Shovel Knight's developers collaborated with speedrunners,
- Alexa Ray Corriea on the characters and themes in Kingdom Hearts III,
- Alyse Knorr on how Princess Peach’s story draws on 2000 years of women in peril,
- Alex Kane interviews the man behind Star Wars Battlefront II's use of motion capture technology,
- Salvatore Pane on the fan projects that have kept the Mega Man series alive,
- Philip J Reed interviews S.D. Perry about her beloved Resident Evil novels,
- Gabe Durham on how Zelda's fandom influenced the official Zelda timeline,
- Jon Irwin savors the anticipation of waiting for a new Mario game,
- Chris Kohler interviews Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu about his legendary soundtracks,
- and Michael P. Williams on how Chrono Trigger fits into the Japanese tradition of retrofuturism.
If you’ve read these authors’ Boss Fight Books, Nightmare Mode offers you a fresh angle on a familiar topic. And if you’re just encountering their writing for the first time and you like what they have to say, we’ve got whole new books awaiting you.